Climate Change Adaptation
What Adapation Community is about
Climate change is one of the greatest challenges of our time. People and states worldwide are already affected by its destructive impacts. Especially developing countries are vulnerable to global warming and its consequences. Adaptation to climate change is a strategy with the ultimate goal of avoiding harm and costs that can arise from doing business as usual without taking climate change into consideration.
The Paris Agreement underlines the importance of adaptation and anchores the need for it in the international agenda. With the adoption of the Paris Agreement and its global goal on adaptation it has been set as an indispensable component of climate action equal to mitigation.
Adaptation to climate change is much about ‘doing things differently because of climate change’ (Bo Lim), or making the right decision in light of climate change. Tools, approaches and instruments are necessary to guide decision makers of the public and private sector. With the right strategy, adaptation can be anchored in all affected sectors, like agriculture, water, health, biodiversity and transport. Although it is not possible to adapt to all impacts of climate change, climate risk Management and disaster risk management can be improved.
AdaptationCommunity.net was developed for the interested public and adaptation experts to provide information on applying approaches, methods and tools that facilitate the planning and implementation of adaptation action. Furthermore, enhancing knowledge and sharing experience is the key to successful adaptation strategies. Therefore this platform offers a wealth of information, webinars and trainings on eight key topics:
– Climate Information & Services assess the expected changes in climatic conditions to support adaptive management and decision-making.
– Vulnerability Assessment helps to identify the nature and degree to which climate change may harm a country, region, sector or community.
– Mainstreaming & NAP: Mainstreaming is the systematically inclusion of climate risk and adaptation considerations in decision-making and planning processes. National Adaptation Planning (NAP) as a process that is designed to support all developing countries in achieving their medium- and long-term adaptation needs.
– NAP & NDC: The national adaptation plan (NAP) process can help translating NDC adaptation goals into action.
– Ecosystem-based Adaptation (EbA) is the sustainable use and conservation of ecosystems and biodiversity as part of an overall adaptation strategy.
– Despite mitigation and adaptation measures, negative impacts that affect human and natural systems are expected to occur and intensify over time. Comprehensive climate risk management is an approach to avert, minimize and address Loss and Damage.
– Climate change has severe effects on the private sector, which pose not only risk for companies but present opportunities as well. Developing strategies to create growth and increase societal resilience is part of the Private Sector Adaptation.
– Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) helps keeping track of the implementation of adaptation measures and evaluating their effectiveness and outcomes.
GIZ’s position on climate change adaptation is summarized in this position paper. If you have any further questions or want to share your experiences don’t hesitate to contact us or follow us on Twitter (@Adapt_Community).