This graph shows all tools developed for M&E of adaptation to climate change by the GIZ. Click on any gear-wheel for further Details:
Alternatively you can get an introduction to M&E of adaptation to climate change and an overview of all tools developed by GIZ in the M&E Toolbox.
Monitoring & Evaluation “at a glance”What is adaptation M&E?
- Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) of adaptation supports keeping track of the implementation of adaptation plans and actions and assessing their effectiveness and outcomes.
- Adaptation M&E can focus on the process of adaptation (is implementation taking place) as well as on its outcomes, i.e. whether the objectives of adaptation actions get achieved.
- Adaptation M&E can support the ongoing management of adaptation interventions by assessing progress and pointing out needs for adjustments.
- Adaptation M&E can also support learning and exchange about what works well and what does not , thereby helping to improve adaptation actions
- Adaptation M&E can also provide accountability by demonstrating and reporting on results.
- Approaches differ based on the purpose for M&E, e.g. whether adaptation projects or strategies are being monitored and whether the focus is on accountability or management and learning
- Since adaptation is context specific and there are different purposes for M&E, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to adaptation M&E
- M&E approaches also differ according to the level of application, e.g. project level, national level or multiple levels
- The Adaptation M&E Navigator helps to select an M&E approach according to the M&E purpose
- Countries are increasingly developing national adaptation M&E systems. A study by IISD & GIZ (2014) illustrates ten such systems with detailed factsheets.
- So far there is far more emphasis on monitoring than on evaluation. Methods available for impact evaluation of adaptation projects are summarized in a guidebook.
- Lessons learned from early experiences with adaptation M&E at national level are described in a comparative analysis and have informed a guidebook to develop adaptation M&E systems at national level.