A new series of case studies developed by GIZ in five countries summarize promising policy entry points and governance structures for EbA mainstreaming at policy and practitioner level. Up to five examples for each country illustrate the diversity of initiatives that support the mainstreaming of EbA but also show existing barriers.
The studies include various examples including the following:
1) Mexico: Caribbean Coasts of Mexico – Engaging the private sector in an insurance policy for coral reefs;
2) Philippines: Sustainable Integrated Area Development Strategy linking local land use plans with national plans and programmes;
3) Peru: Recovery of hydrological ecosystem services via restoration of forests and natural mountain grasslands;
4) South Africa: Urban EbA and Disaster Risk Reduction at municipality level;
5) Viet Nam: Afforestation of coastal protection forest in combination with short-term livelihoods development.
The studies also provide further opportunities and recommendations how to strengthen EbA in policy and practice in the long run.